Honolulu Hotel Accident Lawyer
A hotel accident can ruin the trip of a lifetime in an instant, leaving you with painful injuries that make it difficult to get home safely, expensive medical bills, and other losses. But if a hotel’s management or staff are to blame for the incident, you shouldn’t have to bear these costs alone. You deserve compensation, and the Honolulu hotel accident attorneys at Recovery Law Center can assist you in pursuing the money you deserve.
For more than 25 years, our law firm has helped tourists secure substantial compensation for injuries sustained while staying on hotel property. Managing legal matters can seem overwhelming once you’re out of state. Our lawyers provide effective long-distance representation that puts your needs first. Call or contact us today for a free consultation.
Types of Hotel Accidents
Hotel accidents typically involve incidents like:
- Slip and falls – Hotels must maintain their parking lots, garages, stairways, and handrails to prevent guests from losing their balance. Slip-and-fall accidents can also happen as hotel guests walk across slippery floors and entryways.
- Swimming pool accidents – Wet areas around the edges of a pool are not the only potential hazards guests can encounter at Hawaii hotels. Poorly maintained waterslides, missing ladders, inadequate lighting, negligent lifeguards, sharp edges in pool areas, and toxic chemicals can all cause significant injuries.
- Stair accidents – Defective or poorly maintained stairways can cause hotel guests to lose fall, potentially leading to severe injuries. These accidents are more likely if handrails are missing or loose.
- Escalator and elevator accidents – Malfunctioning escalators and elevators can cause catastrophic injuries, including brain damage, crush injuries, and broken bones.
- Food poisoning – Guests can become sick if hotels and their employees are not careful with food preparation. This is a particular concern in resorts with buffet-style dining areas.
- Recreational accidents– Many hotels in Hawaii offer activities like surfing, parasailing, boating, and snorkeling. These activities are inherently risky, but a hotel may still be liable for your injuries if you get hurt on hotel property or an adjacent area.
- Physical attacks – Hotels without adequate security leave guests vulnerable to assault, robbery, rape, and other acts of violence.
Understanding the extent of your injuries is essential to maximize your compensation. A hotel injury attorney can estimate your losses to place a fair value on your claim.
What is Covered Under Hawaii Premises Liability Laws?
Hawaii’s premises liability laws give you the right to take legal action if a hazardous condition on someone else’s property injures you. It doesn’t matter whether you were invited (explicitly or implicitly) onto a hotel property or if you were trespassing. It only matters that the hotel owner and/or staff knew (or should have known) about the hazard and failed to make repairs or warn you about it.
Hotel owners and employees are not the only potentially liable parties if an accident occurs. Contractors, certain vendors, and other parties may also share liability for an accident. A hotel accident lawyer can investigate your case to determine who should be liable.
What to Do Immediately Following a Hotel Accident
Follow these steps to protect your rights after a hotel accident in Honolulu:
- Call 911 – You may need emergency medical treatment, so do not waste time before notifying the authorities.
- Report the accident – Notify a hotel employee about the accident, preferably a manager. Make the report in writing so you know there is a record of the incident, and keep a copy for your records.
- Take photos – Take pictures of where the accident occurred and the hazards that contributed to your injuries. If your injuries are too severe, ask someone else to take photos for you.
- Collect additional evidence – Get the names and contact information of any witnesses. Also, keep the clothing and shoes you wore when the incident happened. Do not wash or repair them.
- See a doctor – Go to the hospital or other medical facility as soon as possible. Waiting to see a doctor could lead to more severe symptoms and compromise your hotel injury claim.
- Save your medical records and any accident-related bills – These documents are crucial evidence about the harm you suffered, so do not lose them.
- Do not say anything to the insurance company – An insurer could potentially use anything you say against you. Keep your comments limited to the basic facts, such as the time and date of the accident, until you speak to a lawyer.
- Hire a Honolulu hotel attorney – Getting compensation from the hotel can be a lot of work, especially if you’re trying to recuperate from your injuries at home. Hiring a lawyer to represent you also means you do not have to return to Hawaii as your case progresses or deal directly with the hotel or its insurer.
Exceptions to Hotel Owner Liability
While hotel owners are generally liable for accidents that occur because of a defect or hazard on their property, there are a few key exceptions. First, hotel owners cannot be held liable for hazards they warned you about. Second, hotel owners cannot be held responsible for hazards they cannot reasonably be expected to have known about.
In some states, hotel owners can avoid liability for an accident by claiming that whatever caused it was an “open and obvious” hazard. But in Hawaii, this is not a complete defense for property owners. Still, a hotel owner may argue they are not liable for your injuries because you or someone else was primarily responsible for the accident. If a hotel owner is trying to avoid paying for your injuries by saying you are partly responsible, talk to a lawyer immediately.
Contact an Experienced Premises Liability Lawyer in Hawaii Today
You came to Honolulu for a relaxing visit. You shouldn’t leave hurt and reeling from financial and personal losses caused by a hotel accident. Let the premises liability lawyers at Recovery Law Center fight for the compensation you need and deserve.
There’s nothing to lose and everything to gain by scheduling a free consultation. Call or contact us today.