Most people are eager to get healthy and move on after an injury. But moving forward can be hard when an injury leaves you with expensive medical bills, lost income, and other challenges. In Hawaii, you could be eligible to cover those losses through a personal injury claim.
At Recovery Law Center, one of the first questions potential clients ask is, “How long will it take to resolve my claim?” Here’s the answer: It depends.
There are many factors that affect the timing of a claim. Some cases can settle within a few months. More complex personal injury claims could take years, especially if they go to trial. An experienced Hawaii personal injury lawyer can give you a better idea of the timeline after reviewing your case.
Call or contact Recovery Law Center today for a free consultation.
How Long Will My Case Take?
A good personal injury lawyer aims for full and fair compensation for their clients. What it takes to reach that result varies based on the facts of the case.
Most personal injury cases resolve in settlements with the responsible party’s insurance company. That’s usually the best-case scenario for everyone because it avoids the costs, risks, and publicity of a trial.
However, insurance companies don’t routinely hand out fair settlement offers to claimants without a fight. An adjuster will investigate the case and seek reasons to deny or minimize your settlement offer. The more stubborn the insurer is, the longer it could take to resolve your case.
Factors That Affect the Timing of a Claim
Various factors may impact the timeline for a personal injury claim, including:
- Type of case: Some cases are more complicated than others. For example, truck accidents often result in the most catastrophic injuries. But the trucking industry is governed by state and federal regulations. Your personal injury attorney will need to investigate how these laws work together when preparing your case. By contrast, your lawyer may only need to apply Hawaii laws to other types of personal injury claims.
- Parties involved: Lawsuits involving multiple parties typically take longer to resolve if your attorney has to negotiate with several insurance companies. Every insurer will try to downplay their policyholder’s role in the accident.
- Damages: The greater the injury, the higher the claim’s value. Expect a high-dollar case to take longer to settle.
- Level of cooperation: Negotiating a personal injury settlement is easier if both parties are flexible during the process. A lawsuit may be the best option if the at-fault party refuses to cooperate.
How Can I Speed Up the Process?
You can improve your chances of a timely resolution to your claim by:
- Hiring a personal injury lawyer: An attorney can prepare your claim, file it, and represent you in all communications with the insurance company. This can prevent you from some of the pitfalls that drag out a case, such as submitting incomplete documentation.
- Being honest: Tell your lawyer everything you can about the accident, even if you think you may be partly to blame. This can help avoid surprises that set back your case or paint you as a dishonest plaintiff.
- Limiting what you say: Avoid talking about the case with others or on social media. Refer the insurance company to your lawyer if they call.
Contact a Personal Injury Lawyer in Hawaii
The attorneys at Recovery Law Center are dedicated to pursuing justice for injured people on Oahu. Whether you live here, come for a vacation, or are on the island for business, our lawyers can help you seek compensation and start rebuilding your life again.
There’s nothing to lose and everything to gain by getting a free consultation. Call or contact us now to speak with a Hawaii personal injury lawyer.