Problems during childbirth can harm a child for the rest of their life. It can turn a time of joy into a time of stress and uncertainty. Sadly, many childbirth injuries occur because of negligent medical care.
Call 808-427-3088 to discuss your situation with the Hawaii birth injury lawyer. See what your child may receive in compensation.
Lawyers Representing Birth Injury Victims
Recovery Law Center represents children who have been hurt during childbirth and their families. We help these children get financial compensation. Their settlement helps with care in the future. It also recognizes their suffering and what happened to them.
Claiming compensation for birth injury victims
Often, birth injuries result from negligent medical care. Sometimes, healthcare professionals lack knowledge, they don’t recognize warning signs or they just don’t pay enough attention. As a result, an injured child may have the right to claim compensation.
Our lawyers can assist you with:
- Investigating what has happened, if negligence occurred and the right to compensation
- Determining who has legal fault and how to receive a settlement
- Understanding your child’s needs financially, medically and personally
- Filing legal paperwork and handling court appearances
- Taking the burden of the legal system for you so that you can focus on your family
- Responding to the ways healthcare companies try to avoid liability
- Explaining the legal process and giving you peace of mind.
Hospitals may try to hide information or refuse to answer questions. They have lawyers who work to minimize liability. That’s why we stand with you and fight for you.
With an experienced Hawaii birth injury lawyer representing you, we can fight for your injured infant. It is our goal to help with your child’s short-term challenges and long-term disabilities.
We work for justice for your child following a birth injury. Contact us today!
What is a birth injury?
A birth injury is harm that occurs to the child during childbirth. It is an injury that results from trauma.
Is a birth injury the same as a birth defect?
No. A birth injury is harm that occurs because of events during childbirth. A birth defect develops before birth. It may occur for genetic reasons or because of events leading up to birth.
A birth defect may or may not be grounds for compensation, depending on what caused it. It is distinct from a birth injury which involves trauma during the childbirth process.
Does your child have a birth injury?
You may not know that your child has a birth injury. After all, the hospitals rarely volunteer that they made a mistake. However, there may be health complications or small signs that something is amiss. Your child may have a birth injury if any of the following has occurred:
- An especially long or difficult delivery, excessive bleeding, perineal tears
- Emergency C-section
- The epidural was complicated or unusual
- Umbilical cord problems and difficult positioning of the baby
- Brain damage, head trauma
- Oxygen deprivation, cardiac arrest, the need for resuscitation
- Use of instruments like a vacuum or forceps
- Commitment to the neonatal intensive care unit
- Problems with heart rate during birth
- Premature labor
- Shoulder dystocia, umbilical cord placement
- Excessive crying or signs of discomfort in the child, including crying that is high pitched
- The child having difficulty eating or drinking
- Limp arms, lack of muscle tone, curled hands
Abnormal events and characteristics of the birth itself can make an injury more likely. In addition, unusual behaviors in the child after birth can be a sign that something went wrong.
Types of birth injuries that may be eligible for compensation
Some types of birth injuries that may qualify for compensation are:
- Brachial palsy, Cerebral palsy, Erb’s palsy
- Paralysis, nerve damage, shoulder dystocia, Horner Syndrome
- Broken bones, bruising, marks left from instruments
- Swelling of the scalp (caput succedaneum)
- Brain damage, Hypoxic ischemic encephalopathy (HIE), Kernicterus
- Wrongful death
- Other childbirth injuries
Whatever injuries your child has suffered because of negligence in childbirth, they may claim compensation. If the child receives negligent care during birth, any injury that results may be the basis of a claim.
Compensation for Infants Injured During Childbirth
The compensation that a child receives for a childbirth injury is based on their losses. Current and future damages may be included. However, you get only one chance to bring a case. That makes it very important to identify and value future damages in your legal claim.
Types of compensation your child may receive:
- Emergency medical bills following birth
- Cost of intensive care, nursing care and follow-up doctor’s visits
- Future medical expenses including rehabilitation and mobility devices
- Loss of the ability of the child to work and have a career, and the value of damage to lifestyle
- Caregiving needs for a child who will not be able to live independently
- Pain and suffering, emotional and mental anguish
- Disfigurement and permanent scars
When an injury happens during birth, it may be a lifelong injury. Compensation amounts may be high to reflect the magnitude of what has happened. Each case is different. Contact us for a personalized evaluation of your child’s case value.
Don’t settle for too little. Talk to a Hawaii birth injury lawyer about how you can get justice for your child. Call 808-427-3088 today.
Experienced Lawyers – Free Consultations
Recovery Law Center is devoted to the needs of victims. We represent infants and families in birth injury claims. With more than 25 years of experience, we know the personal and financial challenges that our clients face. Our mission is helping your child through the legal claim. The compensation they receive helps them now and into the future. It helps your entire family.
We have the full resources to pursue your child’s case. Armed with legal knowledge, technology, skill and determination, we focus on helping our clients recover in any way they can. Consultations with our Hawaii birth injury lawyers are always free.
Taking New Cases – Call Now
Recovery Law Center is currently taking new birth injury cases throughout Hawaii. We invite you to turn to our lawyers when you need answers and when you need results.
Start now with your free consultation. Help your child get the compensation they deserve. Call 808-427-3088 to begin.