Honolulu Bus Accident Attorneys
Buses allow residents of Hawaii and tourists alike the ability to get around with relative ease – leaving the hassle of driving, parking, and navigating to professional drivers. Unfortunately, bus accidents happen, and because of the immense size and weight of these massive vehicles, they tend to be very serious accidents.
If you have been injured in Hawaii as a passenger on the bus, as a motorist in another involved vehicle, or as a pedestrian in a bus accident, reach out to an attorney. At Recovery Law Center, we are Honolulu bus accident attorneys who prioritize your recovery.
Types of Bus Accidents in Honolulu
Dangerous bus accidents can involve many different kinds of buses, including all the following:
- Public transit buses like Oahu Transit Services’ TheBus
- Private commercial buses, such as Hawaii’s many tour buses
- School buses
- Charter buses
Who Is At-Fault for a Bus Accident in Hawaii?
Bus accidents often come down to negligence on the part of bus drivers, which generally places liability on bus drivers and the companies that employ them. Bus drivers are commercial license holders who are bound by strict federal and state safety regulations, and bus companies are responsible for ensuring that their drivers adhere to these safety standards.
The bus driver
Bus drivers carry immense responsibility that includes navigating safely through traffic while taking the safety of their passengers and everyone else on the road into careful consideration.
There is no room for any of the common forms of driver negligence behind the wheel of a bus, including:
- Noncompliance with the rules of the road
The bus company
Private bus companies — like the multitude of tour bus companies throughout the state — are liable for accidents caused by their drivers, but they can also be the direct cause of bus accidents or can share this role with bus drivers.
Bus companies have all the following responsibilities:
- Hiring appropriately licensed bus drivers with the necessary experience and skill to operate their buses safely
- Maintaining a safe fleet of busses
- Implementing regularly scheduled bus maintenance and safety checks and ensuring that these schedules are carried out
- Implementing rigorous safety rules and restrictions that include ensuring guidelines related to hours of service are carefully followed
Oahu Transit Services
If the accident in question involves TheBus, there are additional legal restrictions and guidelines in place that will make your claim significantly more challenging. Examples include an abbreviated filing timeline and a restrictive filing process.
Working closely with a dedicated bus accident attorney with considerable experience successfully handling these complex claims is always to your advantage.
Injuries from Bus Accidents
The immense impact generated by bus accidents can cause very serious injuries to passengers, other motorists, occupants of other vehicles, bicyclists, pedestrians, and anyone else in the vicinity.
Some of the more common injuries that individuals sustain in bus accidents include:
- Broken bones
- Traumatic brain injuries
- Nerve damage
- Severe soft tissue injuries
- Spinal cord injuries
- Crush injuries
- Traumatic amputations
These are just some of the injuries that you can sustain in a bus accident. Some may be invisible or not show any symptoms, so it’s critical to seek immediate medical attention after you have been involved in a crash.
What to Do after a Bus Accident in Honolulu
It’s important to note that every bus accident is unique, but there are, nevertheless, several important steps every person involved in a bus accident should take, including:
- Seek immediate medical attention. It is critical to have your injuries diagnosed by a medical professional as soon as you can after your crash.
- Consult with a seasoned bus accident attorney as soon as you’re able to do so.
- Closely follow the instructions and advice provided to you by your medical team.
- Allow your trusted bus accident attorney to guide your claim effectively and efficiently forward toward a favorable resolution.
Getting Compensation for a Bus Accident
If you’re injured in a bus accident, obtaining fair compensation can be critical to your recovery. Your skilled bus accident attorney will focus their experience and insight on ensuring that your losses – or legal damages – are carefully assessed and well-represented in your claim.
The damages you can seek compensation for include the following:
- Medical expenses, including costs related to ongoing health concerns
- Lost income, including losses related to your earning potential into the future
- Physical and emotional pain and suffering, which can become more pronounced over time
- Property damage to your vehicle – if you’re injured as the motorist in the other vehicle involved
Keep in mind that the insurance company you are dealing with is trying to resolve your case for as little as possible. For this reason, do not rely on what they tell you about the value of your claim. The best way to determine how much your claim is worth is to speak with a bus accident lawyer as soon as you can.
Consult with an Experienced Honolulu Bus Accident Lawyer Today
If someone else’s negligence leaves you or someone you love injured in a bus accident, the Honolulu bus accident attorneys at Recovery Law Center have decades of experience helping clients like you resolve their claims favorably. In turn, we allow the injured to reach their fullest recoveries. Call us at 808-427-3088 or contact us through our online form for more information about how we can also help you today.
Bus Accident Case FAQs
Can I afford an attorney?
Your bus accident attorney will very likely work on contingency, which means they won’t get paid until and unless your claim prevails with a settlement or court award.
Will I have to go to court?
Most bus accident claims settle out of court, and yours is very likely to do the same.
Is an attorney necessary?
In order to bring your strongest claim, having an accomplished bus accident attorney on your side is always to your advantage.