Honolulu Birth Injury Lawyer
The birth of a child is usually a joyous occasion, but birth injuries can quickly turn happiness and excitement into sadness and dismay. A birth injury often causes lifelong problems for the child that may require extensive medical treatments and specialized care. Mothers can also suffer harm.
Families deserve compensation for the emotional trauma and financial obligations of caring for a child suffering from preventable birth injuries. A Honolulu birth injury lawyer from Recovery Law Center can help.
How Can a Honolulu Birth Injury Lawyer Help?
Medical professionals have a high duty of care to their patients. They must take special care to diagnose conditions, provide proper medications or treatments and take adequate precautions to safeguard patient health. When injuries or death occur because a healthcare worker or facility fails to deliver appropriate care, you can likely obtain financial compensation through a medical malpractice suit.
If you believe that medical malpractice led to birth injuries, you’ll need a thorough investigation to gather evidence supporting your claim and medical examinations by experts who can testify on your behalf. Hire a qualified Honolulu birth injury lawyer from Recovery Law Center to handle these tasks so you can focus on your child.
What Are Common Birth Injuries?
A botched delivery can cause many types of injuries to the mother and child. Some of the more severe conditions that affect newborns include:
- Birth asphyxia and hypoxic-ischemic encephalopathy: Babies that experience oxygen deprivation before, during or after delivery can have permanent disabilities as a result. Lack of oxygen can cause hypoxic-ischemic encephalopathy, which is significant brain damage. Babies with HIE can suffer from learning disabilities, motor and sensory processing disorders, seizures, hearing and vision issues and difficulties with language and speech.
- Brachial palsy: The brachial plexus is a nerve bundle that affects the hands and arms, allowing them to rotate and flex. Shoulder dystocia occurs when the baby’s shoulder sustains an injury during birth. Nerve swelling or bruising often causes temporary problems, but nerve tearing can produce permanent damage.
- Bruising or facial damage: Forceps or vacuum extraction used during delivery can bruise or cut the baby’s head and face. They can also damage facial nerves. This sometimes causes facial paralysis, which can require surgery to repair.
- C-section errors: Delaying an indicated C-section can produce autism, breathing problems, cerebral palsy or infant brain damage. The surgical procedure may cut the baby. Mothers can also experience significant problems, such as hemorrhaging, infections, organ damage or uterine ruptures.
- Catastrophic injuries: Brain injuries, loss of limbs, paralysis and spinal cord damage can happen during childbirth. These injuries can create developmental delays and affect the child’s cognitive and physical abilities.
- Cerebral palsy: Brain injuries that occur around the time of birth can lead to cerebral palsy. CP disrupts specific nervous system and brain functions that control movement and may also produce epilepsy, hearing or vision problems, cognitive impairment and other permanent conditions.
- Sepsis: Sepsis occurs when the body’s immune system releases toxic levels of chemicals into the bloodstream to combat infections. Sepsis can develop before or during delivery or in the baby’s first three months due to infections in the mother’s reproductive system or contact with environmental pathogens. Failing to diagnose and properly treat sepsis can lead to severe medical issues or death.
- Wrongful death: Unavoidable conditions can lead to a baby’s death, but deaths caused by a healthcare professional’s negligence are usually preventable.
An experienced Honolulu birth injury lawyer can help you obtain compensation. If your newborn suffers from these or other conditions resulting from preventable birth injuries, contact a competent Honolulu birth injury lawyer from Recovery Law Center today.
What Can Cause Birth Injuries?
Trained medical personnel supervising a pregnancy and birth must be aware of potential complications and be prepared to take immediate corrective actions. Negligent actions or omissions can cause birth injuries. There are several common reasons that birth injuries occur:
- Abnormal fetal presentation or umbilical cord prolapse
- Anesthesia or other medication errors
- Birthweight of 8 pounds or more
- Faulty or improperly used medical equipment
- Labor lasting over 18 hours or premature births
Several situations indicate that doctors should deliver the baby by Cesarean section. Failing to recommend a C-section or delaying an emergency C-section can endanger both the mother and child.
Physicians should monitor the mother and child throughout pregnancy, labor and delivery. Failing to detect maternal infections and conditions or fetal distress can cause birth injuries. Some of these conditions are:
- Abnormal fetal heartbeat
- Fetal developmental issues
- Gestational diabetes
- Placenta previa
Various tests, medications and treatments during pregnancy can reduce the risk of these conditions causing birth injuries. Consult a Honolulu birth injury lawyer if you believe your medical team didn’t provide adequate care.
What Long-Term Complications Can Birth Injuries Lead To?
Birth injuries vary in severity and may cause temporary or permanent conditions, including but not limited to:
- Blindness or deafness
- Cognitive impairment and learning disabilities
- Developmental delays
- Nerve damage
While many injuries are treatable, some may leave children with life-long health conditions. Serious birth injuries can also lead to death.
Who Is Responsible for Birth Injuries?
Depending on your specific situation, one or more of these parties may be liable for a birth injury:
- Doctors, midwives or nurses
- Pharmaceutical or medical equipment companies
Your Honolulu birth injury lawyer will seek compensation from all parties contributing to the injuries.
What Damages Can You Obtain?
Birth injuries can lead to financial catastrophes and emotional trauma. If you have a valid medical malpractice claim, you may receive damages for things such as:
- Medical treatments and care
- Lost wages
- Pain and suffering
- Anxiety and depression
Your attorney from Recovery Law Center will seek all applicable damages from those responsible.
Why Should You Choose Recovery Law Center as Your Honolulu Birth Injury Lawyer?
If you need a Honolulu birth injury lawyer, look no further than Recovery Law Center. We have the experience and knowledge to pursue your case to the fullest. We will treat you with compassion and respect while working in your best interests in your case. Request your free consultation 24/7 by calling us today, or using our website form. We will swiftly assess your case and tell you how we can help.